tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 04 10:29:14 2002

Re: Stage

pagh:
>>I'm writing an article for QQ, and I'm having trouble coming up with a
>>reasonable term for "stage", meaning the area upon which actors do their
>>thing. I've looked through paghmo' tIn mIS, but to no avail. If anyone
>>remembers what the stage is called in Hamlet (or has a copy handy), I would

Voragh:
>Off the top of my head, didn't they use {reHwI'} for a "player" (i.e. actor)?

>>appreciate it. Other suggestions are also welcome.
>
>As a model, we have {chenmoHlu'meH Daq} "construction site" from the BoP
>poster, so if they were musicians, you could call it a {muchmeH Daq}
>"place for performing (music)".  If dancers, a {mI'meH Daq} "place for
>dancing" - though this could just as well mean "gymnasium"!  On the List
>we sometimes use {Da} "behave as, act in the manner of" for "act" and
>{DawI'} for "actor, actress", so I suppose you could call it a {DameH Daq}
>or {reHmeH Daq} in a pinch.

'ISQu':
 >>Wouldn't the phrase {reHmeH Daq} indicate a (children's) playground
rather than a stage?

That too.  Although I misremembered it, note that in the English of
Shakespeare's time, a "player" referred to an actor, who "played" a
role.  For that matter, it still does, even though it's considered a bit
dated.  "Actor/actress" and "performer" have almost completely replaced
it.  "Play" still survives, though.

Nick Nicolas:
 > Off the top of my head (as opposed to checking :-) : I've done 'actor'
as DawI', and I
 > normally didn't translate 'stage' in stage directions. The very end of
Hamlet, however,
 > has incorporated into the dialogue "muchDaq'a'".

I checked my copy of the KLI Hamlet over the weekend and Nick used {DawI'}
for "actor/player", {DawI'yaH} for "stage" and {DawI' lut} for "play" in
Act II, Scene 2 wherein Hamlet discusses his plans with the traveling
players.  For those interested, the actual play-within-the-play is
performed in Act III, Scene 2.

Whilst perusing Hamlet II.2, my eye caught this well-known couplet at the
very end of the scene, which I think Nick rendered very well:

                        -- the play's the thing
    Wherein I'll catch the conscience of the king.

                                       --toH,
    'olmeH, ngoD meq qaq law', qa' QIch qaq puS.
    ta' ghob bIchu'meH DawI' lut vIghuS.

I like how he preserved a rhyme - not easy to do in Klingon! - which makes
it a very effective exit line for Hamlet.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level