tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 01 10:06:28 2002

Re: 'ISqu' (KLBC probably needed..)

Sangqar wrote:
> >> Olomouc Hopbe' Sosnowiec.
> >> Sosnowiec isn't far away from Olomouc.
> >
> > Since no one else has pointed this out:
> > Shouldn't this be <OlomoucDaq Hopbe' Sosnowiec>.
> >
> > In an article in a HolQeD ...
> > ...(Or perhaps it's a figment of my imagination, but I remember reading
> > about it as part of a longish interview with MO; I believe it was
> > conducted by charghwI'.)

DloraH:
>I did see this.  I was waiting for BG to comment.  You are correct about
>everything; the grammar, the interview, and the interviewer.  I believe it
>was
>HolQeD Dec 98 (I'm at work right now); it's the one with the klingon
>holding a
>baby.
>
>Normally a thing is "near" or "far" from the SPEAKER.  But this nearness or
>farness can be thrown to another place/thing by using -Daq.
>
>I have that article on my computer at home.  I suppose I should bring it to
>work someday.

I don't have the text of that article on either computer.  All I have is
this brief note from Okrand in my notes:

    As for how to use {Sum} "be near, nearby" -- that will require some
    more time with Maltz. {Do' Sum matlh.} I would think, however, that
    it would work the same way as {Hop} "be far". (MSN expert.forum 9/97)

and these two sentences from canon:

   Sum Daqmeyvam, tera'ngan.
   These places are nearby, Terran. CK

   SuvwI' vI' Dub naQvam 'ej ray' HopDaq bachlu'meH chuqna' ghurmoH
    naQvam
   This serves to steady the aim of a warrior and increase the effective
    range for distance targeting. S14

Note, too, the phrase {logh Hop} "deep space" - "far space" (i.e. far away
from the speaker or the speaker's homeworld).

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level