tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 22 18:04:19 2002

RE: KLBC: {-be'}

> I have a question about {-be'}:  From what I undestand from TKD, this
> particle negates whatever it follows,

Your understanding of -be' is correct.  As the examples on p46 show:
choHoHvIpbe' - the -vIp is what's negated.
choHoHbe'vIp - the HoH is what's negated.

> The reason I ask is that I have seen it used seemingly at random on this
> list, or at least at odds with the stated English equivalent

I don't recall seeing any ill-usage.  As far as I know people have been
putting it after the part they want negated.  Tho it is possible my eyes
have simply passed over such ill-usage, knowing inside what the writer
really means.

DloraH, BG

Back to archive top level