tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 22 09:14:35 2002

KLBC: {-be'}

I have a question about {-be'}:  From what I undestand from TKD, this
particle negates whatever it follows, i.e., if someone were to say to me
<<SoptaH>>, the response:

Sopbe'taH

would dispute the fact that eating was the action involved, as in
<<Sopbe'taH, 'ach 'eptaH>>, whereas:

SoptaHbe'

would dispute that the action was continuous, as in <<Sopbe'taH, 'ach
Soppu'>>.

The reason I ask is that I have seen it used seemingly at random on this
list, or at least at odds with the stated English equivalent (in fact, I've
most likely done it myself).  Is this just a mistake that is too small for
the BG to bother about (not to mention the other ardent defenders of the
language), or have I misunderstood the use of {-be'}?

See TKD, p.46