tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Mar 16 23:32:04 2002

RE: QoghIj 'Iw nIjmoHHey SIQpu' quchoywI'

> > Or you could just simply say, jI'IQ.
>
> vIparHa'
>
> In a 1:1 conversation could you imagine that a Klingon might have
> said that by just saying:
> 'e' vIparHa'
> or is that subject best steared clear of?

In [vIparHa'] the implied object {'oH} refers to the idea I offered; you
like the idea of "jI'IQ".
'e' refers to the whole previous sentence "you could just simply say jI'IQ".
So ['e' vIparHa'] is "you like that you could just simply say jI'IQ"; as in,
maybe you didn't know you could keep it that simple, you thought you had to
say something more complex, and now you're happy to find out that you only
need to say jI'IQ.  (did I make sense here?)

We do have canon of someone using 'e' to refer to someone else's previous
sentence, in ST6 - 'e' neHbe' vavwI'

> > > wejmaH Soch ben ghaH neH je
> > > She's only 37
> >
> > You have no verb in this sentence.
> > bogh "born"
> > wejmaH Soch ben bogh.
>
> I tried to use ghaH as the verb "she is" have I got that wrong? or is it
> that I can't use [wejmaH Soch ben] as the object of pronouns in this way?
>
> NUM:         wejmaH Soch: thirty Soch
> N: ben:       years old
> V: ghaH:    she is
> ADV: neH: only,

TKD - ben "years ago".  A noun, primarily for timestamps.
I couldn't find where, but somewhere we have something about "hundred year
old ale" wa'vatlh ben HIq.  The english gets translated as "hundred year old
ale" and so ben got put into KGT as "years old".  I wish he didn't do that.
Basically this is a noun-noun.  "ale of a hundred years ago", wa'vatlh ben
HIq.  "hundred year old ale" is just a smoother english translation.
Listing ben as "years old" just adds confusion.  The ale belongs to a period
of time a hundred years ago.

So "She is merely that period of time 37 years ago" doesn't quite work.
wejmaH Soch ben bogh.  [wejmaH Soch ben] is now a timestamp "37 years ago".
The verb is bogh "be born".  "37 years ago she was born."

> > > ... ghot QeH vIDa jIH
> Thanks... As I had made use of it, are there any examples on how to use
> [Da -behave as] ?

We do have canon for this, but I couldn't find it.  I'm sure someone else
can help us here.  I believe you did use it correctly.

> > > PS despite the subject matter I would appreciate constructive comment
> > > on HolwI'
> >
> > -wI' is used in reference to beings capable of using language.  A
> > language itself doesn't speak, so we would use -wIj.
>
> Someone sent me an email the other day with [qa'wI']
> Is this an acceptable use of -wI' or in this instance down to the
> individuals perspective?

Klingons believe that spirits talk.  They get -wI'.

DloraH, BG

Back to archive top level