tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Mar 16 23:49:55 2002

RE: QoghIj 'Iw nIjmoHHey SIQpu' quchoywI'

> > > Subject: QoghIj 'Iw nIjmoHHey SIQpu' qochoywI'
> >
> > nIj is a verb.  It looks like you're tying to use it as a verb;
> > and you're using both verb and noun suffixes on it.
>
> I had intended [nIjmoH] as acting adverbly on [QoghIj 'Iw] and then wanted
> to add [-Hey] "apparent" on the 'noun-adverb' construction and thought the
> noun suffix was supposed to go on the last word in the construction.
> Especially as the apparent part was the "leaking" bit.

Adverbials are the words at the beginning of the sentence like: reH
"always", not "never", DaH "now".  The verbs that follow a noun to describe
the noun are acting as adjectives.

Adjectives need to be "a verb expressing a state or quality" (TKD49).  These
are usually the definitions that start with "be".
"be red", "be big", "be strong".
paq Doq - the red book
raS tIn - the big table
beq HoS - the strong crewman

Adjectives can not take the suffix -moH.  They can only take -qu' and -Ha'.

** paq DoqmoH - the cause to be red book.  This doesn't work.

THEN... when you do have a good adjective, only the type 5 noun suffixes get
moved to the adjective.  -Hey, being a type 3, stays on the noun.

DloraH, BG

Back to archive top level