tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 27 18:49:58 2002

"one nation, under God"

In the USA, many of us are debating the "under God" clause of our pledge of allegiance. I couldn't care less about the theology, but I am interested in the grammar.

Surely a literal translation wouldn't work:
{Qun bIng}
sounds to me like "God's bottom". Oh my!

How about:
{Qun lobtaHbogh wa' Sep}
"one region which continues to obey God"
    {lob} verb. obey. TKD092.

or:
{Qun pabtaHbogh wa' Sep}
"one region which continues to adhere to God"
    {pab} verb. to follow (rules), to adhere (to). TKD098, TKW047.

Neither of those phrases look right to me, though. Can the {wa'} come between the {-bogh) phrase and {Sep}? If it couldn't, it would have to go before {Qun}, and that would read as "one God" and not "one region". No?

I avoided {wa' wo'} "one Empire", since the Klingons dumped their {Qunpu'} ages ago. :)

Back to archive top level