tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 26 11:02:51 2002

Re: adverbials with -Ha'

Sangqar asks:

>I have seen {ghaytanHa'} and {pIjHa'} on this list.  Can we add {-Ha'} to
>any adverbial, or must we wait for it to appear in canon?

Good question, one which others have asked Marc Okrand, who responded in
HolQeD 4.4:

   The word for "dishonorably" is {batlhHa'}. This is clearly the adverbial
   {batlh} "in an honored fashion" plus a suffix {-Ha'}, which might be
   analyzed as the negative suffix that follows verbs or else as a suffix
   identical in form (and meaning?) to it, but which appears with adverbials.
   Whether this {-Ha'} can be added to all adverbials is not clear. The notes
   taken while working with Maltz indicate that he balked at {vajHa'} ("not
   thus"?) but accepted {Do'Ha'} "unfortunately". Information on other
   adverbials has not yet been uncovered, though it is probably in the notes
   somewhere.

peHruS later suggested *{jaSHa'} "similarly, the same way" to Okrand.  He
reported that:

   At the 2000 qep'a' in conversation with MO, I went over the list I had
prepared
   of adverbs + {-Ha'}. This was the very one which I was disappointed to learn
   from MO himself that it does NOT work. He never explained why. [...]
Well, that's
   just about what I remember about {jaSHa'}. Merely that [possibly not
verbatim]:
   "I don't think it works." He did not volunteer any other information
about why
   it doesn't SEEM to work or what else would work.

The list of approved examples is:

   batlhHa'    dishonorably
   Do'Ha'      unfortunately
   ghaytanHa'  unlikely, not likely
   pIjHa'      seldom, infrequently

Okrand has said that *{vajHa'} and *{jaSHa'} don't work.  As for any
others, we just don't know.  Also, remember that some adverbials already
have an unrelated opposite - e.g. {nom} "fast, quickly" vs. {QIt} "slowly";
{bong} "accidentally, by accident" vs. {chIch} "purposely, on purpose,
intentionally" - so adding {-Ha'} to these probably won't work either.

>If we can use {-Ha'}, can we also use its fellow rover {-qu'}?  (I have
>never seen this, but it seems a logical extension.)

An interesting idea, but this may not work.  Notice that in the HolQeD
citation above, Okrand balked at identifying this {-Ha'} as the verb suffix
and hinted that it may actually be a previously unidentified adverbial
suffix "identical in form (and meaning?) to it".  See, for example, the
unique suffix {-mo'} "due to, because of, for, since" which occurs on verbs
and nouns.

As for intensifying the idea of the adverbial, it appears you can use the
rover {-qu'} on the verb which the adverbial modifies.  We have two
examples of this pattern:

   batlh maHeghbej 'ej yo' qIjDaq vavpu'ma' DImuv.  pa' reH maSuvtaHqu'
   Then we die with honor and join our fathers in the Black Fleet where we
   battle forever. (Anthem)

{pa' reH maSuvtaHqu'} = "there we keep on battling forever"

   nom yIghoSqu'!
   Maximum speed. ST5

This apparently intensifies the whole adverbial + verb phrase.  I don't
know whether this can work with every such combination.  Cf. for example:

   tIqIpqu' 'ej nom tIqIp
   Hit them hard and hit them fast. TKW

What would {nom tIqIpqu'} mean?  "Hit them very hard and fast!"? (i.e.
"Pummel them!  Thrash them!  Beat them up!")

BTW, adding the rover {-be'} to the verb in an adverbial + verb phrase does
the same thing.  E.g.:

   Hoch DaSopbe'chugh batlh bIHeghbe'
   Eat everything or you will die without honor. TKW
   ("If everything you do not eat, honorably you will not die")

Here {batlh bIHeghbe'} doesn't mean merely "you won't die" but that "you
won't die honorably".

(I'll leave the question of whether "dying without honor" {batlh Heghbe'}
is the same as "dying dishonorably" {batlhHa' Hegh} for another thread.)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level