tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 26 09:24:53 2002

Re: Klingon WOTD: num (v)

Rob asks:
> > Klingon word:   num
> > Part of Speech: verb
> > Definition:     promote
>
>I assume as in "promotion to a new rank" and not PR-related?

I've always assumed so too, but on checking my notes I see that the one
time Okrand used {num} was been in the KLI's 1999 "Friend of Maltz"
certificate of merit:

   tlhIngan Hol Danummo' pIquvmoH.
   Because you promote the Klingon language, we honor you.

Perhaps, by an amazing coincidence, {num} covers both English meanings.
<g>  We also have {tungHa'} "encourage" which is also good for the PR or
advertising sense - say, to promote the eating of more gagh by the Imperial
Gagh Growers Association ("Gagh... it's not just for breakfast anymore!").

Lawrence, did Okrand write (or approve) the text of this certificate?

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level