tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 25 13:15:11 2002

Re: Headers. Yet again.

> vaj qachuH: SuStel's reading of TKD (if I understand it at all) allows
> nouns to take Type 5 suffixes wherever they occur in a sentence, provided
> the results are "meaningful."

charghwI' (if I understand him correctly) isn't saying that it's not allowed.
He's merely saying that through observation we simply do not see it happening.
If MO someday does somehow make a "meaningful" sentence with a type 5 (except -
'e') on a subject or object, then fine.  If it's allowed then we can easily
say "...the ship in which I fled".

> >> vangDI' ghot, quvmoH tuqDajvaD.
>
> > bIvbej. moH je. "When a person acts, for his family honors him."
>
> jaS vImugh 'e' vImaS: "When a person acts, what brings honor is the
> fact that he does it for his house."

That certainly isn't what came into mind.  I do understand what you're trying
to say; if MO someday says this construction works and this is how it's
translated, fine, I'll accept it.  Till then, observation says "this doesn't
happen; so far we've seen type 5 only in the header".

Again, he's not saying it can't, just that it hasn't.

DloraH

Back to archive top level