tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 25 05:56:44 2002

Re: Headers. Yet again.

jIja':

>> latlh le'wI' ghajlaw' SuStel nger: *DIp - Segh vagh - DIp*

>> mu'ghomHom. DIp 'oH DIp'e' ja'law' SuStel. pab neH qellu'taHvIS, jaS
>> Dabe' mojaq ghajbogh DIp'e'. vaj mu'ghomHomvam chaw'nISlu', qar'a'?

mujang charghwI'. ja':

> ghobe'. bIqarbe'.

charghwI', chomertaH not 'e' Damev. DaH DuboQqangwI' Da'om.

vaj qachuH: SuStel's reading of TKD (if I understand it at all) allows
nouns to take Type 5 suffixes wherever they occur in a sentence, provided
the results are "meaningful." TKD's rule prohibiting the first noun in a
noun-noun construction from taking a Type 5 suffix seems an irregularity
here - a case in which grammar is not indifferent to the deployment of Type
5 suffixes. As the attraction of SuStel's view is largely in its
universality, and since you were counting exceptions, I thought ...

'ach bIQochlaw'. Do'Ha'. nIteb DujlIj DachIjnIS.

>> vangDI' ghot, quvmoH tuqDajvaD.

> bIvbej. moH je. "When a person acts, for his family honors him."

jaS vImugh 'e' vImaS: "When a person acts, what brings honor is the fact
that he does it for his house." But that's beside the point. I had two
motives for making my examples as persuasive as possible:

1) to show that the far-reaching implications of SuStel's theory won't
always be ruled out by the "meaningfulness" criterion;

2) to test whether the supporters of this view are really prepared to see
such phrases coming up casually in posts.

> potlh chovnatlhlIj 'e' DapIHlaw'. ngoDvetlh Daj law' chovnatlhlIj Daj
puS.

jIHagh. mu'tlheghmeyvam vI'oghpu' 'e' vItIvbej 'ach tlhIngan Hol bIH'a'?
'e' vIHon.

qa'ral

authorized to receive it.   It may contain confidential or legally
privileged information.   If you are not the intended recipient you are
hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking any
error, please notify us immediately by responding to this email and then
delete it from your system. Ernst & Young is neither liable for the proper
and complete transmission of the information contained in this
communication nor for any delay in its receipt.

Back to archive top level