tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 20 11:05:17 2002

All of us... again

> >> Without a verb, /maH/ must act as the verb, and with this
> >> word order I get: "We are all of klingon students."
> >>
> >> For "We all are klingon students" I would switch /Hoch/ and
> >> /maH/. ghojwI' maH Hoch'e'. But this is only if we can say
> >> "we all are". This isn't "all of us" because maH is acting as
> >> the verb; so we don't have it as part of a noun-noun.
> >
> > Ok... so it becomes:  /tlhIngan Hol ghojwI' maH Hoch'e'/?  This
> > emphasizes and stresses "ALL" (Hoch) right?

DloraH:
>(If "we all" is allowed...) The -'e' here isn't emphasising or stressing;
>-'e'
>goes on the subject of a pronoun-as-to-be.  TKD section 6.3

   lujpu' jIH'e'
   I, and only I, have failed. TKD

   'ach HoD, Hevetlh wIghoSchugh veH tIn wI'el maH'e'!
   But Captain, that course will take *us* into the Barrier as well. ST5

>(This section also states that if the subject is a noun, the pronoun/verb is
>third-person.  Which is why /maH Hoch/ shouldn't work.)

We've discussed how to render the idiomatic "all of us" and "all of them"
before, with no consensus.  (This is not a problem in the 2nd person, as we
have {tlhIH} "all of you, you all".)  IIRC there are three factions: ?{Hoch
maH}, ?{maH Hoch}, and a few who even suggest using {Hoch} alone with a 1st
person plural prefix:

   ?tlhIngan Hol wIghoj Hoch.
    We are learning Klingon, everyone.

Maltz may tell us that in order to translate "We're all Klingon students
here" we need to recast a bit:

    naDev tlhIngan Hol ghoj Hoch'e'.
    Everyone here is learning Klingon.

    naDev tlhIngan Hol ghojwI'pu' maH.  Hoch.
    Here we are Klingon students.  Everyone.

[Hmm...  Amazing what the correct punctuation can accomplish!]

or recast even more, repeating the subject in the predicate and changing
the verb to the 3rd person (with the idea of "we" being understood?):

    naDev tlhIngan Hol ghojwI'pu' chaH Hoch ghojwI'pu''e'
    Here all students are Klingon students.

on the model of:

    loghDaq Suvrupbogh SuvwI'pu' chaH Hoch SuvwI'pu''e'
    In space, all warriors are cold warriors ("warriors ready to fight"). TKW

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level