tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 20 09:07:11 2002

Re: KLBC: RE: Enough.

> I seem to recall a canonical example using the genitive noun-noun
> with Hoch, in the same sense as English "all of the warriors"
> == <SuvwI'pu' Hoch> (although in this case "the warriors' all"
> means something entirely different in English).

"all of the warriors" sounds familiar, but I couldn't find it.
"all of the warriors" should be /Hoch SuvwI'pu'/.

But the noun-noun construction doesn't work in the original example
because /maH/ was acting as a verb.

> Am I imagining or
> misremembering things?  If not, would that mean that "all of us"
> could be rendered as Hochmaj?

(I discussed this in another message)

> Or perhaps even in the first person we can give the pronoun-as-verb
> an "explicit subject" via -'e', as we do in the third:
>
> 	tlhIngan Hol ghojwI'pu' maH Hoch'e'

This is the same possibility I gave, to which I stated we don't know if we can
do that.

DloraH, BG

Back to archive top level