tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jun 14 15:20:31 2002

syntax

qon SuStel:
>Perhaps using {-Daq} on a following ordinal, which occupies the same
>position as a modifying quality - e.g. {veng wa'DIch}, {veng tInqu'} - is a
>variant of this rule.  It may feel more natural for Klingons to put these
>particular noun suffixes on the modifier, even if it isn't a noun.  Put
>them on the entire noun + modifier phrase in other words:  {[veng
>wa'DIch]Daq}, {[veng tInqu']Daq}, etc.

I tend to agree that this is the most natural way to do it. I don't know if
anyone else has noticed, but what's genuinely interesting about this issue is
that if ordinal numbers do not displace type 5 noun suffixes the way that
adjectivals do then Klingon would be exhibiting crossing dependencies in its
syntax. :) I suspect that would have major implications -- surely more
significant than the meaning of SuD containing one warm color.

--
Andrew Strader

Back to archive top level