tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 18 15:37:47 2002

Re: the banned book (was: Re: klingon letters)

To add a little more detail, I was involved in the book (as was Qov) enough to
know that HetaQ wrote Paramount and asked them if they would publish the book.
Paramount told him they were not interested in it. He then published it
himself, very clearly stating in several places that it was not in any way
associated with Paramount. It was "Unofficial", (like many of Paramount's
publications)

Paramount's lawyers went after him because:

1. They didn't want to publish the book and get sued when someone put
somebody's eye out with his betleH.

2. They didn't want to let anybody publish anything Klingons on it unless
Paramount publishes it.

So, basically, everybody was in one of those doomed scenarios. HetaQ knew this
going into it. He put a lot of work and zeal into it, sold a respectable number
of books and then got to play David flinging rocks at Goliath, except Goliath
didn't go down. When Paramount banned the book, HetaQ had a big, very public
book burning. He clearly enjoyed the fight, even as it cost him dearly.

Will

> Deghnegh asks:
>
> >I am not sure if this is correct but,  gatlh tuchwI paq. (Why is the Book
> >banned?)
>
>    qatlh paq tuchlu'?
>    Why is the book forbidden?
>
>    qatlh paq lutuchpu' Paramount?
>    Why did Paramount forbid the book?
>
> The short answer is that Hetaq (the author) failed to ask Paramount's
> permission before he published and sold his book.  Paramount threatened to
> sue him for violation of their copyright - yes, the words "Star Trek" and
> "Klingon" are copyrighted here in the U.S.! - and Hetaq eventually agreed
> to withdraw the book from circulation rather than undergo lengthy and
> expensive litigation.  IIRC he thought that he would probably win at trial,
> but the lawsuit would surely have bankrupted him regardless of the verdict.
>
> >I have a question about a word. It came from the banned book thread and
> >the word is hatbogh (Temprature born). Is there some other meaning for the
> >word bogh?  I dont understand.
>
> Look in TKD again.  {Hatbogh} is not the noun {Hat} "temperature" plus the
> verb {bogh} "be born", but rather the verb {Hat} "be illegal" plus the
> relative clause marker suffix {-bogh}.  E.g.:
>
>    Hat paq.
>    The book is illegal.
>
>    paq Hat
>    the illegal book
>
>    Hatbogh paq
>    the book which is illegal, the book that is illegal
>
>    paq HatmoHlu'bogh
>    the banned book, the book which they have banned (made illegal)
>
> There are many homonyms in Klingon, so you need to carefully check the
> glossaries and not stop at the first word or suffix which matches.  Note
> that the prefixes and suffixes attached to a word will tell you what part
> of speech it is, so don't overlook the "v." and "n." tags in identifying
> the proper word.  The good news is that, after a while, it becomes automatic.
>

> --
> Voragh
> Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level