tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 29 14:41:58 2002

Re: pawwI' paSqu' (was RE: qep'a' plans)

>>ja' pagh:
>>>jIpawDI' paSbej ram. 10:33 PM paw muDDuj net nab.
>>>ghaytan mebpa' lupwI' vIlIghnIS.
>
>/muDDuj/ - plane
>/mebpa'/ - hotel
>
>is this grammatical? can we form such nouns without having canon sentences
>from MO?

{mebpa'mey} is in KGT.  {muDDuj} is, I believe, a convention on this list.

Some will say that you can't create compound nouns (TKD 3.2.1) like this; we
can only use what we're given.  TKD describes them, but doesn't give
instructions on forming them (or prohibit their productive formation).  What
do you think?

>>bIpaSbej jay'.  SoHvaD 'uQ'a' chuvwI' wIpol DaneH'a'
>>
>>-- ghunchu'wI'
>
>why not /chuvmey/ instead of /chuvwI'/?

{chuvmey}, the noun meaning "leftovers," is only a grammatical term.  It
refers to words that are not nouns or verbs (TKD 2, 5).  As far as we know,
we cannot use this word for food.

>sts.

--Holtej 'utlh