tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 24 09:48:09 2002

Re: chuvmey ("leftovers")

Am 23.07.2002 22:51:30, schrieb Steven Boozer <[email protected]>:

>chuvmey  leftovers (n.)
>
>"If, for some reason, the {qagh} cannot be consumed before they all die,
>this is a common way to serve leftovers." (KGT:87)
This is very interesting, but it's about leftovers, not about {chuvmey}.

>Klingon?  AFAIK it isn't in (American) English.
My english-german dictioanry says:
  "leftover I adj. ... II noun ..."
nothing about plural or singular.

>Okrand did, as an adjective (or is it a participle in English?): {Soj chuv}
I read this like an adjective (a {wot}) "food (be) leftover"
Just lika any other adj./wot: Soj bIr "food (be) cold"

>If the singular is used in Klingon, it may be as grammatical argot or
>jargon - {tlhach mu'mey} in Klingon - only: e.g. a leftover {chuv}, a noun
>{DIp}, a verb {wot}, etc.

>I wish Maltz had given us more information on how to discuss grammar in
>Klingon!
Maybe Klingons just *don't* discuss grammar, just as they didn't care for medecine and anatomy for a
long time. It's enough to distinguish between verbs and nouns and affixes, but I think a klingon would
not waste his time to seperate all the "other words", the word that are "left over".
wotmey DIpmey je DaqIlDI' chuv 'op mu'mey. vaj chuvwI'mey bIH ponglu'.

Quvar.

Back to archive top level