tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 17 17:30:32 2002

RE: chotwI'/mang

> >>  maj. vebchu'(chuq) ta'meylIj. 'ach tagha' meqchaj vIghojchoH'a', pagh
> >>  wej vIHoH'a'?
> >
> >Hmm, I'm not quite sure what you're saying.
> >-(chuq) on veb?
>
> i meant to say that you actions follow a perfect order. so it's ok to
> defend and to ask the reasons of the attack afterwards.
>
> <veb> means AFAIK "to be the next in a sequence". the being next of
> you actions is perfect, so you actions are next to each other in a
> perfect way. but, one another. hence <-chuq>.

veb "be next (in a series, sequence)" doesn't take an object.  You do not
"be next a thing"; and so you can't use -chuq.  In order to use -chuq the
verb needs to be able to have an object.  -chuq causes the multiple subjects
to also be the objects.

> >"Do you finally start to learn their reasons, or do you not yet
> kill them?"
> >

> >DloraH
>
> yes. (is the sentence grammatically wrong in klingon? should i have
> added some <-ta'>? i meant "did you finally start to learn their
> reasons, or haven't you killed them yet")
>
> you said that you have to defend your family and, if necessary, kill
> the terrorists and after that you will learn their reasons.
>
> 'ach meqchaj DaghojchoHbe' 'e'law'. / 'ach meqchaj DaghojchoHbe'
> 'e' vIQub.
> (but i think, you haven't begun to learn their reasons.)

'e' is a pronoun, -law' is a verb suffix.  Drop the 'e' and move the -law'
over to the DaghojchoHbe'.
/meqchaj DaghojchoHbe'law'./

meqchaj vIghojchoH jIH.

> chaq 'oHvaD taH cha' meq:
> (two reasons for this are possible: / maybe there are two reasons:)
>
> 1. you are so busy killing them, that you haven't found the time to
> learn their reasons.
> 2. you personally didn't get to kill them yet, and so you wait to
> learn their reason, too.

jIjatlhta' [meqchaj vIghoj].

> latlh meq ghoj nuv mob 'e' Qatlhqu' 'e' vItulbe'.
> (i fear it's much too difficult for a single person to learn the
> reason of the others. / i don't hope that it's really difficult that
> a single person learns the reason of the others.)

... 'e' Qatlhqu' ...
/Qatlh/ doesn't take an object.  You don't "be difficult a thing".
The "for" in your sentence can be handled with the suffix -meH.
latlh meq ghojmeH nuv mob  Qatlhqu' Qu' ...
"The tesk is difficult in order for a single person to learn another's
reason."
or
Qatlhqu'  latlh meq ghojmeH nuv mob  Qu' ...
"The task of a single person learning another's reason is difficult."

> naDevHa' chaHtaH 'ej Hol rapHa'qu' jatlh 'ej Qobqu' 'op chaH.
> (they are so far away and speak a very different language, and some
> of them are very dangerous.)

naDev is a noun.  -Ha' is a verb suffix.
Hop "far"
rapHa' "unalike"
pIm "different"

> maHvaD Qapla''a' roj? DloraH, nuq DaQub?
> (is peace possible for us? DloraH, what do you think?)

Qapla' is a noun, "success".
DuH "possible"
maHvaD DuH'a' roj?  "Is peace possible for us?"

QaQ roj.  qaq rojna', 'ach ghaytanHa' roj qo'vam.

DloraH, BG

Back to archive top level