tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 15 16:42:19 2002

Re: romanization

Quvar wrote:
>HIvje' n. glass; A container from which drinks are consumed is a HIvje'.
>This word is used for any sort of drinking vessel: glass, cup, mug, stein,
>goblet, tumbler, and so on. If necessary, HIvje' can also be used to refer
>to drinking vessels normally not associated with Klingon culture - for
>example, crystal stemware. Since certain drinks are typically associated
>with certain containers, saying the type of drink plus HIvje' indicates
>the type of cup or
>glass as well:
>   'Iw HIq HIvje' bloodwine glass,
>   qa'vIn HIvje'  coffee mug,
>   baqghol HIvje' bahgol cup.
>
>Unless specified further, HIq HIvje' liquor glass usually means a tankard
>or stein for beer or ale;
>
>HIvje' bom n. drinking song;
>
>reH HIvje'lIjDaq 'Iwghargh Datu'jaj!
>May you always find a bloodworm in your glass!

>(extract from my mu'ghom I'm working on)

Add to it:

{Dargh HIvje'}  teacup (n.) KGT

   "Tea may be made either in a teapot ({runpI'}) or directly in the teacup
({Dargh HIvje'}, or, if not a cup specifically designed for drinking tea,
just {HIvje'})." (KGT 96)
   "Some drinks are served in special containers, such as the {runpI'}
(teapot) used in the making of {Dargh} (tea), and are then poured into the
appropriate {HIvje'}." (KGT 99)
   "Similarly, the common word for 'teacup' is {Dargh HIvje'} (literally,
'tea drinking vessel'). Among the upper classes, the word {tu'lum} is used
with some frequency, though, strictly speaking, this archaic word used to
mean only a cup made of metal." (KGT 42)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level