tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 09 10:23:55 2002

Re: lexicographical issue... "SuS"

qeyS:
> > Question. I assume that the noun <<SuSDeq>>, "windbag,
> > bellows", is something like a compound noun in origin, with the
> > meaning of the second element being lost (?). Now, my question
> > is: the first element, namely <<SuS>>, is that semantically closer
> > to the verb <<SuS>> "blow (into wind instrument) to produce
> > sound", or is it closer to the noun <<SuS>> "wind, breeze".

SuStel:
>We don't know.  We usually have little information on Klingon etymology, and
>this is one instance.
>
>If you're trying to use a derivation to isolate the element /-Deq/ from
>/SuSDeq/, we don't have enough evidence to support that.

The only other use of {Deq} in a word is {ngawDeq} "mixing stick with
flattened, paddlelike end":

   The stick used for stirring in a {'un} ("pot") is usually called a DuDwI'
   ("mixer"), though sometimes the term {'un naQ} ("pot cane") is heard. If
   the end of the {DuDwI'} is flattened out, paddlelike, the device may also
   be called a {ngawDeq}.  (KGT p.97-8)

{ngaw} is unattested by itself.  The only element of these two words we can
identify is {SuS} which, as qeyS points out, can either be the noun or an
apparently  specialized music verb.

BTW:  When you can't break a word down into it's component parts or if the
parts are otherwise unattested in the glossaries, this is often an
indication that the word is one of Okrand's puns or linguistic jokes.  But
if there's a joke in either of these words, I admit to not being able to
figure it out.

Speaking of jokes... there's also {may'ron} "accordion, concertina"
(Lawrence Welk's main accordion player was Myron Floren; "Myron" is also
the brand name of line of accordions) and DIron "bagpipes" (drone!).  The
verbs used with these nouns include {qeb} "squeeze" and {rey} "squeeze and
stretch out", both of which look suspiciously like names ("Cab" or
"Ray").  Does anyone know an accordion connection?  (PeHruS once suggested
the {rey} has to do with stretching an accordion so that the ribs [i.e.
rays] will show, but I don't know enough about accordions to comment.)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level