tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 05 06:47:19 2002

lexicographical issue... "SuS"

Hi people,

Question. I assume that the noun <<SuSDeq>>, "windbag,
bellows", is something like a compound noun in origin, with the
meaning of the second element being lost (?). Now, my question
is: the first element, namely <<SuS>>, is that semantically closer
to the verb <<SuS>> "blow (into wind instrument) to produce
sound", or is it closer to the noun <<SuS>> "wind, breeze".
Although <<SuS>> as a verb seems more obvious (since we are
talking about a musical instrument), I wasn't really prepared to rule
out the noun <<SuS>> as a possibility either.

The point is, if it were treated as a derivative entry in a dictionary,
then it would have to put under either of them, since <<SuS>> (n.)
and <<SuS>> (v.)  would have their own entries.

Kind regards,

qeyS

P.S. I'm using French quotation marks for Klingon all the time
since " would be too confusing, taking the sign for the glottal stop
into account. Are there any conventions for this on this list?

Back to archive top level