tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 03 14:14:57 2002

Re: RE: word-question

Quvar:

> >> since {Hech} is the object of what you know, you need the prefix for
> >> "I-it": {vISov}

DloraH:
> > Hech is not a noun.

Quvar:
>I wrote that at school, without my dictionary. Of course it's not a noun.
>Maybe I was thinking of {qech} "idea".

It's also the wrong verb.  {Hech} is "intend, mean to" not simply
"mean".  Exx.:

   Hem tlhIngan Segh 'ej maHemtaH 'e' wIHech
   Klingons are a proud race, and we intend to go on being proud. TKW

   Ha'DIbaH DaSop 'e' DaHechbe'chugh yIHoHQo'
   Do not kill an animal unless you intend to eat it. TKW

You need to pay attention to all the words in the gloss, and not just pick
out one.  For "mean" in the sense of "What does this mean?" most of us use
{'oS} "represent".  Exx.:

   toDuj 'oS rol
   A beard is a symbol of courage. TKW

   qorDu'Daj tuq 'oS Ha'quj'e' tuQbogh wo'rIv
   The sash that Worf wears is a symbol of his family's house. S20

   yay 'oS bey
   This yell is victorious in nature... S31

Thus,

   nuq 'oSchu' mu'vam <<stalker>>'e'?
   What exactly does this word "stalker" mean?

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level