tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 02 18:32:21 2002

RE: wa'DIch as a time stamp?

> Can we use {wa'DIch} as a time stamp, like we do in english?
> e.g. {wa'DIch ta' vIHoH} "first I kill the empereror"

TKD says "Ordinal numbers follow the noun."
That's all it says.

MO has never used it in this manner.  There are some people that accept it.
I can't remember if MO has ever told us that it can not be used this way.

All of the canon has it following the noun; except for one which looks
certainly  like an error:

tlhIngan may'Duj, qItI'nga   Klingon Battle Cruiser, K'Tinga Class

wa'DIch tlhIngan Dujmey luleghlu'pu'bogh rur qItI'nga' Duj tera' vatlh DIS
poH cha'maH wej HochHom lo'lu'taH.  tera' vatlh DISpoH cha'maH loS bong
QongmeH qItI'nga Duj tI'ang ghompu' DIvI' 'ejDo' 'entepray'.

Similar in configuration to the first Klingon vessels encountered, the
K'Tinga-Class remained in use for most of the 23rd century. A sleeper ship
of this class, the T'Ong, was encountered in the 24th century by the U.S.S.
Enterprise.
<<<

A piece of canon that is relevant:

'oy'naQ DaQeqDI' mIw wa'DIch Data', 'ach 'oy'naQ Dachu'DI' mIw paghDIch
Data'

When you aim the painstik, you accomplish the first step, but when you turn
the painstik on, you accomplish the zeroth step.
<<<

MO connects it to mIw.

DloraH, BG

Back to archive top level