tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 01 13:15:00 2002

Re: question #5 'more x than y'

SIv Quvar:

>Still on the beach, there were not many girls.
>Actually, I could see "more trees than girls"
>
>without thinking, I wrote:
>{Sormey SaH law', be'pu' SaH puS}
>Then I wrote:
>{SaH Sormey law', SaH be'pu' puS}
>
>I think the latter is the better...

jang charghwI':

>N1 Q law' N2 Q puS. That's the pattern for comparatives. Look at your
>examples again. The second one doesn't follow this pattern at all. The
>first one does. We have no canon or rules to justify your second example.

chay' mu'tlhegh <<SaH Sormey law', SaH be'pu' puS>> pojlaH vay'?
"comparative" 'oHbe'bej mutlheghvam'e' 'ach mujbe' je. naDev cha'
mu'tlheghmey tu'lu':

     "Many trees were present, few women were present."

Sor luDellu'taHvIS, chaq Qap mu' {SaH}= be present, chaq Qapbe'.

'ISqu'