tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 26 13:43:48 2002

RE: KLBC: "New York"Daq lengwIj

> >I suggest
> >{New YorkDaq vIlengpu'} or something similar.
>
> jIyajbe'.  Does {leng} take a direct object, or not?  Even if it does, I
> would be confused by {New YorkDaq vIlengpu'}, as it seems to be
> saying "In
> New York, I travel to it".  Travel to what?

leng works like jaH and ghoS.  The destination is the direct object.  The
indirect object with -Daq on it is the medium by/in/on which you travel.
HolQeD Dec 98, Okrand:

  yuQ vIleng    -  I travel to the planet
  yuQDaq vIleng -  I travel to the planet
       (the second one has -Daq, but notice the prefix vI- )
  yuQvo' jIleng -  I roam away from the planet
  yuQDaq jIleng -  I roam (around/about) on the planet

** yuQ jIleng  is not allowed.

> lut 'IH vIchenmoHDI' DIvI' Hol vIlo'taHvIS, QatlhlaH, 'ach tlhIngan Hol
> vIlo'taHvIS, qaDna' 'oH Qu''e'.
>
> It can be hard enough to write effective prose in English, but in Klingon
> it's a true challenge.
>
> (Was that last sentence even close?  I didn't have an example of
> how to use {Qatlh}  in reference to an action.)

It should be understood.  We've seen this done similar to the second half of
your sentence, using Qu'.
DIvI' Hol vIlo'taHvIS  Qatlh lut 'IH vIchenmoHmeH Qu'.
"The [task of making a beautiful story] is difficult while using English."

Sometimes this can get drawn out quite long and can become confusing, and
then it would be better to recast using multiple sentences.

And a personal opinion, unless the story has pictures, I don't think 'IH
would be the right way to describe stories.  We know that for songs they say
it is 'ey or muDuQ.  We also still have pov, QaQ, maybe HoSghaj, etc.

DloraH, BG

Back to archive top level