tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 26 17:03:36 2002

I Object!

From: "TPO" <[email protected]>
> leng works like jaH and ghoS.  The destination is the direct object.  The
> indirect object with -Daq on it is the medium by/in/on which you travel.
> HolQeD Dec 98, Okrand:
>
>   yuQ vIleng    -  I travel to the planet
>   yuQDaq vIleng -  I travel to the planet
>        (the second one has -Daq, but notice the prefix vI- )
>   yuQvo' jIleng -  I roam away from the planet
>   yuQDaq jIleng -  I roam (around/about) on the planet
>
> ** yuQ jIleng  is not allowed.

I feel it is important to correct and clarify a little terminology here.
There is no indirect object in any of these sentences.  In fact, Klingon
does not have indirect objects.

Klingon has objects.  It also has subjects and headers.  These are the only
"noun cases."

Klingon DOES have the /-vaD/ "beneficiary" suffix, but this does not
mystically differ from any other kind of noun in the header case.  What in
English is represented by the concept of an indirect object, Klingon uses a
noun suffix for, not an entity called an indirect object.  To speak of
"direct" and "indirect" objects in Klingon is to impose a structure that
doesn't exist in the language.

yuQ vIleng
"I travel to the planet."
yuQ = object

yuQDaq vIleng
"I travel to the planet."
yuQDaq = object (that happens to have a locative sense)

yuQDaq jIleng
"I roam about on the planet."
yuQDaq = header (that happens to have a locative sense)

One wonders whether /yuQvo' vIleng/ is allowed, and whether it differs from
/yuQvo' jIleng/, and even what each means.

And to complete the idea:

DujDaq yuQ vIleng
"I travel to the planet on the ship."
DujDaq = header (that happens to have a locative sense)
yuQ = object

HoDvaD Duj vInob
"I give the ship to the captain."
Duj = object
HoDvaD = header (that happens to have a beneficiary sense)

SuStel
Stardate 2072.3

http://members.aol.com/dtrimboli

Back to archive top level