tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 23 12:41:12 2002

Re: Just thinking...

> Good point.  The difference is between {tlhIngan Hol Dajatlh 'e' vIQub}
and
> {tlhIngan Hol Dajatlhlaw'} is a bit hazy, at least to me.

/-law'/ indicates the speaker's lack of certainty of the truth of the
statement.

/'e' vIQub/ would seem to do the same thing, though it could also refer to
one's actual thought process.

Why do I prefer using /-law'/?  Because it's more fun than /'e' vIQub/!  It
doesn't just mimic what I'd say in English, and it's only one syllable
instead of three.  It also removes reference to the first person.  It
doesn't encourage formulaic thinking.

I would probably use /'e' vIQub/ if I said something, paused, then realized
I had to add an uncertainty qualification to it.  E.g.:

vaS'a' vIjuSlI'.  (Looking carefully.)  Umm . . . 'e' vIQub.

SuStel
Stardate 2063.6

Back to archive top level