tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 21 13:50:33 2002

Re: SajwIj

In a message dated 1/16/2002 8:35:11 PM Mountain Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

> (Can {Qub} be used to express opinion, or just to indicate the thinking
> process?)
>
> ghomvam qech'a' vISovbe', 'ach reH wot <<Har>> vIlo', qech 'oSmo' DIvI' Hol
>
> mu' "think" rurbogh:
>
> reH tlhInganpu' yoH 'e' vIHar.
> I believe that Klingons are always brave.
>
> I don't know the consensus of the group as a whole, but I have always used
> <<Har>>, since it provides a similar meaning.

I'm just throwing in two or three cents worth of opinion here.  I like
Klingon thought processes to differ from common English ones (I'm not saying
anything about the language thought processes of non-English speakers on
Earth).  {Har} works great for "believing that something is....." and {Qub}
can be restricted to the thinking process.  OTOH, I've seen lots of us
English-speakers extending {Qub} to mean we "think that.....," often using
{'e'}.

The above-referenced message pleases me.

In addition to the information in the above-referenced message, TKD gives us
the option of using {-law'} (V6) "apparently, it seems that....." on a verb
to express that the speaker is undergoing a "thingking process" about the
sentence.

peHruS

Back to archive top level