tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 22 14:36:13 2002

Re: Klingonase vs. tlhIngan Hol

The word "canon" is spelled "c-a-n-o-n" not "cannon". The former is something
you accept as from a reliable authority. The latter is a gun, typically too
large to carry without mechanical assistance.

Anything written or spoken by Dr. Marc Okrand is canon. He invented the
language we call tlhIngan Hol. Anything else is not canon.

Others will argue that these other things are "Paramount Canon", but the simple
truth is, tlhIngan Hol as presented by Marc Okrand is a language that can be
used to express ideas pretty much like any "natural" language. Everything else
from Paramount under the name Klingonaase or anything else fails the simple
requirement that a person can express ideas using these sounds or
written "words".

None of this "Paramount Hol" has even the simplest rules of grammar. I've never
seen any words in Paramount Hol that have any part of speech other than "noun",
unless you want a separate category for "proper noun". If you have no grammar,
you have no expression of ideas. These are just "words" made up by authors who
thought it would be cool to throw in some "Klingonaase", and hey, nobody really
speaks the language anyway except some real losers with no life, so nobody who
counts will be offended if we just make stuff up, right?

So, as an author, I can just say, "S'nirt" and it means "primary lateral
holographic dorsal induction alignment fuser array". Then, some geek will
catalog it and it becomes "canon", right next to "K'pqgwbvpa, which is, of
course, the Quorvakian wartfrog considered to be a delicacy on the third moon
of Marzak II.

Riiiiight.

tlhIngan Hol is an artificial language created for a fictitious race of aliens.
Klingonaase is a fictitious language about which we know nothing except that
nobody understands it except fictitious characters, and the only thing they
reveal to us are nouns tossed into English sentences. You can never learn to
speak Klingonaase. Nobody can. Even the guy who invented the word can't speak
it. He just makes up words when he needs them.

Meanwhile, I can speak tlhIngan Hol. You can, too, if you avoid the distraction
of Klingonaase and study canon provided by Marc Okrand and discussed here on
this list.

Marc Okrand has written books, so it is not true that things written in books
are not canon. The Klingon used in the movies was usually written by Marc
Okrand and he coached the actors on how to say it, so that is canon (even if
sometimes the actors didn't do a very good job of it). Okrand has also
participated in two audiotapes and a CD. All these are canon.

None of the TV shows have ever consulted Okrand, and whoever comes up with what
they use is not knowledgable about the language. Most of the novels are
similarly ignorant of tlhIngan Hol, though the novel "Sarek" does have a few
words in it that the author got from Okrand, even though she is clueless about
how to actually use the words in a sentence.

I hope this clarifies things, despite the obvious influence of my opinion.

Oh, and one more thing: If you want to make up your own Klingonaase words, just
make sure to use a harsh or explosive opening consonant, like "K" or "P" or "B"
or "T" and then make the second letter an apostrophe. It doesn't matter what
comes after that, but those first two letters are really important. Nobody can
pronounce it anyway, but just to seem authentic, make it two syllables, and
make it a noun.

charghwI'