tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 18 13:45:46 2002

Re: More puns in new vocab

>> cha'par - "a bird noted for its song"

Voragh:
> {cha'par} from PARtridge?

charghwI':
: It might as well be a PARrot, unless we're talking about a PARtridge
: in a PAIR tree.

Or a PEAR tree!

taD:
}Anyway, "Partridge" actually makes sense to me somewhat. Russ may be
}thinking of the tv series "The Partridge Family". Although I didn't watch
}it much, I believe the show was about a family who also played as a rock
}band (note that a {cha'par} is noted for its song). During the theme song
}from the show, the members of the family were represented by animated
}Partridge birds.

I think Russ and taD are right on this one, considering Okrand's fondness for
"classic" TV references.

Hmm... are parrots particularly noted for their singing?  I always think of
them as noisy talking (or mimicking) birds whose coloring could be described as
garish, which would make them a Terran analogue to the:

>> parbIng - "a mid-sized bird with particularly garish coloring
>>            (at least from a Klingon point of view"

Anyone figured this one out yet?  PARRot perhaps, but {-bIng}?  The only
Klingon {bIng} we know of is a noun meaning "area below, area under".  Someone
suggested BING Crosby, IIRC, but I've never considered him to be particularly
garish.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons