tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 10 12:36:40 2002

Re: quick question about the new Klingon words in HolQeD

Be careful about double negatives. We have no indication that Klingon uses
double negatives.

> HolQeD chovnatlh chu'Daq bIH mu'meyvetlh chu' 'e' vIloy, not mu' <<bo>>
> vIleghbe'mo'.

not mu' <<bo>> Dagheghbe'mo'
^^^                   ^^

I've seen this several times lately and the growing trend concerns me. Remember
that when you use {not} or {wej}, you are already indicating a negation of the
verb. Don't negate it again with {-be'} or {-Qo'} unless you are negating the
negation, though that does not seem to be your intent here, judging by your
English.

> HolQeD vIje'be' Huch mep vIghajbe'mo' - ghorgh tlhIngan Hol
> yejHaDDaq mu'mey chu' tu'lu'choH?
>
> jIjatlhtaHvIS - mu' <<je>> yIlIj - chaq mu'meyvetlh mu' Qat law' Hoch Qat
> puS.
>
> I guess these new words are in the new edition of HolQeD, because I've never
> seen the word <<bo>>. I don't get HolQeD because I don't have a credit card

Lawrence is quite happy to take a check. This is not an excuse. ghaytan bIbuD
neH.

> - when will these words be put on the KLI's webpage?

When I get my HolQeD, read it, decide if the form of the words listed there
suffice to fit in with the rest of the word list and modify it if needed, then
I get to the Web page and make the changes.

> BTW, don't forget <<je>> - perhaps the most popular of those (two-letter)
> words.

There aren't many:

'a
cha
Da
DI
Do
gho
ghu
Hu
je
lu
jo
po
ro
ta
tI
va

Those are the ones I can think of, anyway.

> (I fought for ten minutes to try and find a suitable Klingon circumlocution
> for "webpage" - I failed. {{:)

jISaHbe'.

> Qapla' 'ej Satlho'
>
> ro'Han