tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 25 10:31:35 2002

Re: Do Klingons whisper?

Peter wrote:
>Considering with what forcefulness I at least need in order to pronounce
>some of the sounds of Klingon, I started think about if it was possible to
>whisper Klingon.  As I am a new speaker of Klingon I am unable to do this.
>So for the more experienced speakers, are you able to whisper in Klingon
>so that your listener can still understand what you are saying?

I'll let the experienced speakers deal with the mechanics, but the answer
is surely yes.  After all, there's the verb {tlhup} "whisper" in TKD
<g>.  (You may not have been able to find it as it's listed in the
Klingon-to-English side only.)

The female Klingon in the pro-novel SAREK addresses her human boyfriend,
Peter Kirk (James T.'s nephew):

   "Don't stop! HIja'!" she whispered, between kisses. "MevQo', Pityr..."

(Yeah, I know.  It's not from Okrand directly, though he did advise author
Crispin on her Klingon.)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons