tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 05 16:01:34 2002

Re: KLBC: chay' mu'meyvam lo'lu'?

From: <[email protected]>
> Given the gloss "keep something secret", I've really wanted this to be a
> transitive verb, but all usage I've ever noted has been intransitive. As
voragh
> notes, you need {-moH}.

I disagree.  Canon doesn't prove that /pegh/ can't work the way TKD
suggests.  It just proves that it can work in another way.  I would fully
accept

nuH vIpegh.
I keep the weapon secret.

I suspect that Okrand simply never needed to use /pegh/ this way, and so
hasn't.  He probably needed "be secret" for Conversational Klingon (/pegh
De'vetlh/, "That is classified information"), and extended the meaning of
/pegh/.  This doesn't invalidate the original meaning.

SuStel
Stardate 2099.6

http://members.aol.com/dtrimboli

Back to archive top level