tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 19 22:37:53 2002

Re: KLBC: chay' mu'meyvam lo'lu'?

In a message dated 2/5/2002 12:41:58 PM Mountain Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

> This one may be a problem.  None of the examples of {pegh} "keep something
> > > secret, be secret, classified" I know of take an object

Many dictionary entries of languages other than tlhIngan Hol use this
convention.  "To keep something secret" means the user of the verb can put an
Object in place of the word "something."  The result we get is "to secret
something."  This implies transitivity.  While I am not sure that it what Dr.
Okrand meant here, it does seem plausible.

Thus, {De' pegh bu' matlh} would be "The loyal sergeant keeps the information
secret."

This all means that I personally feel {pegh} can be used as a transitive
verb.  But, with no proof, I will remain cautious and just not use it this
way until MO tells us the truth of the matter.

peHruS

Back to archive top level