tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 05 14:41:27 2002

Re: KLBC: chay' mu'meyvam lo'lu'?

> [Sorry to be so tardy in responding to these vocabulary questions.]
>
> Voragh:
> > {bup} is not attested in canon. I would use {mev} "stop, cease" which
> > is well attested in canon, usually as part of a SAO with {'e'}.
>
> Sengval:
> : vaj jIQaghlaw'pu'. For some reason I had marked {mev} intransitive in my
> : TKD. Or is it one of these verbs of variable transivity, like {So'}? Can
> : you say {jImev} "I stopped", or {jImev'egh} "I stopped myself", or both?
..
> > This one may be a problem.  None of the examples of {pegh} "keep something
> > secret, be secret, classified" I know of take an object:
>
> : Okay.  Perhaps the verb to use would be {So'}:
> :   {jIrop 'e' vISo'}  "I kept it a secret that I was sick."
> : Correct?

I'm not altogether certain that {So'} refers to anything other than a physical
hiding or cloaking of a physical object so that it cannot be seen. I'd expect
some variation on {pegh} would work better.

Given the gloss "keep something secret", I've really wanted this to be a
transitive verb, but all usage I've ever noted has been intransitive. As voragh
notes, you need {-moH}.

> That works.  You can also say with the verb {rop}:
>
>   jIrop; ngoDvam vISo'.
>   I was sick; I concealed this fact.
>   I concealed the fact that I was sick.
>
> or use the noun {rop}:
>
>   pegh ropwIj.
>   My illness was a secret.
>   My illness was kept secret.
>
> or you can even add {-moH} "cause, make" to the verb {pegh}:
>
>   jIrop 'e' jIpeghmoH.
>   I was sick.  I made it a secret.

Minor error. That should be {jIrop 'e' vIpeghmoH.}

> --
> Voragh
> Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

charghwI'