tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 17 10:54:55 2002

Re: naH Doq

Quvar wrote:

>ghItlh Voragh:
> >nuqjatlh??  "I have entered the red fruit/vegetable"?
>
>qaStaHvIS ram mu'tlheghmey vIgherta'. jIbachHa'ba'. {vI'elmoHta'}
>jIjatlhta' vIneH. 'ach DaH vIleghDI', vIpar. chaq qaq {vIchelta'}.
>
> >red cabbage??
>It's spaghetti (=qagh rurbogh Soj) with tomatoes (=naH Doq)

toH!  I was imagining a salad made of shredded red cabbage since my mother
used to make this.  I'm not sure how a Klingon would describe spaghetti to
another Klingon:  {qagh ngeb} "fake gakh" perhaps?  I suppose if some
offworlder did open an Italian restaurant in the First City, they would
just call it spaghetti or pasta (paSta!) since it would be an exotic, alien
food.  (BTW, in the novel "The Vulcan Academy Murders" we are told that
there is an Italian restaurant in the city of ShiKahr.  Apparently
vegetarian pasta is quite popular with Vulcans!)

> >> vaj jIjatlhchugh <vay' moH>, chaq moHbogh loD vIDel'a'?
>
> >I'm not sure I understand your question.
>
>The question was just if I can use {vay'} like any other noun, using
>adjective-verbs and taking suffixes.

I would think so, at least according to the rules.  {vay'} is a noun in
Klingon, not a pronoun.  (And even pronouns can take some
suffixes.)  However, Klingon usage or proper style may not allow
it.  Looking at canon, {vay'} "anybody, anything, somebody, something,
someone" and its antonym {pagh} "nothing, none, no one" - which presumably
works the same way - have never taken any suffix:

jagh jonlaH vay'
Somebody can capture the enemy
Anybody can capture the enemy. KGT

naDev vay' DaSov'a'?
Do you know anyone here? CK

naDev vay' vISovbe'.
I don't know anyone here. CK

DaH vay' vIlarghlaH.
Now I can smell something. CK

chaq SoHvo' vay' vIje' vIneH.
[Maybe I'd like to buy something from you.] PK

yIntaHvIS qeylIS'e' lIjlaHbe'bogh vay' batlh 'etlhvam chenmoHlu'pu'
this sword of honor descends from the time of Kahless the Unforgettable. S8

vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh
Conquer what you desire. TKW

wej Heghchugh vay', SuvtaH SuvwI'
A warrior fights to the death
("If someone has not yet died, a warrior keeps on fighting"). TKW

vay' DaghIjlaHchugh bIHoSghaj
Fear is power. TKW

batlh Heghlu'chugh noDnISbe' vay'
An honorable death requires no vengeance. TKW

vay' DalarghDI' yIqaw
Remember the scent. TKW

pIj monchugh vay' yIvoqQo'
Don't trust those who frequently smile. TKW

chIch vay' 'oy'moHmeH 'oy'naQ 'ul law' tlhuD 'oH
Painstiks... emit a highly-charged shock for the express purpose of
inflicting pain. S32

pa'vo' pagh leghlu'.
The room has no view. CK

Qu' buSHa'chugh SuvwI', batlhHa' vangchugh, qoj matlhHa'chugh, pagh ghaH
SuvwI''e'
If a warrior ignores duty, acts dishonorably, or is disloyal, he is
nothing. TKW

lojmIt poSDaq Daq pagh.
No one eavesdrops at an open door. PK

yay 'oS bey. 'IQ pagh.
This yell is victorious in nature, rather than mournful... S31

>Any opinions about the following phrases?
>
>    {vay'mo' QeHlaw'}
>    "He seems to be angry about something"

Or "someone" - otherwise, this seems fine.

>    {pa' 'elpu' vay';  vay'vetlhvaD paq vInobnIS}
>    "Someone entered the room; I need to give the book to that someone"

I'm not sure.  Although a little redundant, this seems fine in Klingon,
although in English we would say "I need to give the book to that person"
or "... to him/her" or even "... to them" (some people use "them" as a
clumsy indefinite, singular [!] object pronoun of indefinite/unspecific
gender).  Of course, the fact that this feels a bit awkward in English
tells us nothing about how it would feel to a Klingon.  Maltz, are you
reading this?

>    {pa' 'elchugh vay', vaj vay'vetlh yIHoH}
>     "If someone enters this room, kill that someone."

Ditto.  Just {... vaj yIHoH} "then kill him/her" seems fine, unless there's
someone else in the room that you *don't* want to kill.  (In English we
would say:  "If anyone enters this room, kill him/her" or even "... kill
them".)

>    vay'mey?  vay'pu'?  Soch vay'?
>    vay' 'ar Dalegh?
>
>What could these mean, if they do mean anything?

Good question.  Although we've never seen these forms, they may well be
kosher in Klingon, although in English we would probably say
"people/persons" {ghot}/{nuv}, e.g.:

reH tay' ghot tuqDaj je
One is always of his tribe
("A person and his house are always together"). TKW

ghotvam Ho'lu'. 'ej muSlu'.
A man to admire& and hate. (MO's ST5 notes)

wey jolpat: wa' (jav ghotpu')
Personnel Transporter - 1 (6 Man) [BoP Poster]

butlh ghajbogh nuv'e' yIHo'
Admire the person with dirt under his fingernails. TKW

or "things" {Doch}, e.g.:

chay' Dochvam vIlo'
What do I do with this? (How do I use this?) TKD

nuqDaq Dochvam vIlan
What do I do with this? (Where do I put this?) TKD

Dochvetlh DIlmeH Huch 'ar DaneH
How much do you want for that? TKD

Dochvetlh vISoplaHbe'
I can't eat that. TKD

rura' penteDaq Soj Doch <yuS???> vIqIch...
We is condemning food... things and supplies to Rura Penthe. ST6 (sic for
vIHIj!)

Dochvam nuq
What is this? CK

Dochvetlh yItlhap
[Take that!] PK

juHwIjDaq Dochvetlh vItlhap
I will take that to my home. PK

naDev Dochvetlh qem
Bring that here! PK

naDev Dochvetlh qemqu'
I really mean it this time! Bring that here! PK

tajwIj 'oHbe' chorlIj jeqbogh Dochvetlh'e'
That is not my dagger protruding from your midsection. FTG

Of these, only {ghot} has ever appeared with a plural suffix {ghotpu'} FWIW.

--
Voragh                            "Damage control is easy. Reading
Klingon--that's

Back to archive top level