tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 28 15:06:21 2002

Re: Klingon WOTD: Qun (n)

Wolf Anglmyer wrote:

>I think Qun'a' is very appropriate for for the useage here as not every
>one is stuck in a Monotheistic tradition. I and several others follow a
>pre Kahless line of thought when it comes to dieties such a Cymele and
>Durgath they are the two prime dieties in the Pantheon and they do not
>work as a collective but as separate entities. There are lesser dieties or
>minor ones that could used the term Qun'Hom depending on their station in
>the Pantheon. There are household Qun'pu that would rank as Qun'a' like
>Cymele is in my household she is the QunBe'a' SoS and therefore is at the
>top of the list.  Durgath is her companion and would be Qun'a' vamwI.

What is {vamwI'}?  I can't find a verb {vam}.  "Companion" would be {tlhejwI'}.

If you're going to call Cymele the {Qunbe''a' SoS} or "great female deity's
mother", shouldn't you call Durgath the {QunloD'a' vamwI'} or "great male
deity's {vamwI'}"?

Aside from a very few family terms - puqbe'/puqloD, puqnI'be'/puqnI'loD,
lorbe'/lorloD, tey'be'/tey'loD - Klingon does not mark nouns for
gender.  Cf. {joH}, which can either mean "Lord" or "Lady" depending on
context.  Thus {Qun} is either a male or female deity, {HoD} can be either
a male or female captain, etc.  But if you do insist on marking {Qun} for
gender, then you should also mark the male with {loD}, like the family
terms: *{Qunbe'}/*{QunloD}.

Grammatically at least, Klingon does not assume that a person in a given
role is naturally a male.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons