tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 27 12:11:11 2002

Re: Aw: Re: adverbials

From: <[email protected]>

> Quoting David Trimboli <[email protected]>:
>
> > From: "Stephan Schneider" <[email protected]>
> > nuq

> > question
> > friends..."
> > >
> > > hm. but are you sure about /qech nuq/? it seems very english to me
> > this
> > way.
> >

> > I don't think /qech nuq/ works.  It means "What are ideas?"  A parallel
> > from
> > Okrand would be /Dochvam nuq/ "What is this?"  (Literally, "What is
> > this
> > thing?")  It doesn't mean "What things?"
> >
> > SuStel
> > Stardate 2654.5
> >

> It wasn't a full sentence.

I don't see how it would work even if it were incorporated into a full
sentence.  We've seen Okrand avoid */nuq Doch/ (or */Doch nuq/) by using
constructions of the form /Doch yIngu'/.  I think Stephan is right: */qech
nuq/ is trying to mimic English, but isn't using the words the way Klingon
uses them.

Instead of */qech nuq?/, the best utterance would have been /qech ngu'!/.
This is a clipped command (to keep it less than a complete sentence).  A
longer, complete version might be /qech DaqeltaHbogh tIngu'!/.

SuStel
Stardate 2654.9

Back to archive top level