tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 16 11:16:27 2002

Re: tlhIngan Hol lujatlhbogh puq'e'

From: "d'Armond Speers" <[email protected]>
> I know this has been discussed ad nauseum, but I'm still confused about
> this.  Can you provide an example of a locative noun as a subject?  Unless
> you're thinking something like {Qom Dat} and are counting {Dat} as a
> locative.
>
> Or, you're just saying that the rules don't explicitly prohibit it, and
it's
> a logical possibility that one day we may see this, just like we
eventually
> saw locatives as the object of verbs of motion like {ghoS}.  Not that
you're
> advocating its use with what we know today.  Is that the point?

That is precisely the point.  And analyzing nouns this way eliminates the
need for /-'e'/ and objects of verbs of motion to be exceptions.  It's all
about what objects and subjects the verb normally uses.  /-'e'/ is simply
more likely than any other Type 5 to appear as subject or object, because
its meaning is usually compatible with those.  X-Daq is not likely to be the
subject for many verbs, because most verbs don't work with a locative
subject.  (We don't know of any that do, but that doesn't prevent the
possibility.)

And whether or not such a thing actually exists, the interpretation is a
useful one to understand things like WHY verbs of motion can take locative
objects, and why /-'e'/ can appear as subject or object.  It explains what
we DO see, while not forcing you to do something which we DON'T see.

SuStel
Stardate 2624.70

Back to archive top level