tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 12 17:04:04 2002

Re: Early Show

lab ghunchu'wI'

 > one-on-one interview with Qov to two sentences: {jImaw'. jISaHbe'.}

This is so much a shame.  It could have been so cool.  If they had dared to
show me speaking more than two one-word sentences, they would have
a) demonstrated that Klingon is a complex, speakable language
b) shown any lurkers out there that there are people who CAN speak it
c) broadcast me saying something vaguely intelligent

I know that American audiences won't sit still for foreign languages, but
they could have given me half a sentence to demonstrate that I was speaking
Klingon, then simply put ghunchu'wI''s voice on top as a voiceover.

As it was, do they pause, then give the translation?  What was ghungqet
saying on camera?  Any other pieces besides distorting DloraH to make it
appear that the child was learning only Klingon and English, distorting me
to make it appear that I was claiming to be crazy, and calling us
losers?  Anyone care to do a transcript of the whole thing?   And so what
if Ebben were learning only English and Klingon.  Many Americans raise
their kids with ONLY English.  And that's somehow better??

I guess we're lucky they didn't just subtitle me with, "I must be ready to
intervene on Earth's behalf when the Klingons come to conquer the
planet."  Heh, next time I'll just give them that.  :)

And yeah, Marc, we need a word with the definition "journalist (always
pejorative)"

Back to archive top level