tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 12 07:18:47 2002

Re: Aw: Re: adverbials

From: "Stephan Schneider" <[email protected]>
> >I think the label you might be looking for is "a reason" or "a cause".
But
> >it doesn't stop being a noun just because it has a type 5 suffix on it.
>
> it's a cased noun. what about this? is it accaptable?

I'm not sure the concept of case is completely relevant here, either.  While
X-Daq and X-mo' mean two different things, grammatically they are treated in
exactly the same way: they are USUALLY (but not necessarily)
non-subject-non-objects.  (I say "usually" because we know that with certain
"verbs of motion," the object of the verb can be a locative noun.)

Klingon would appear to have three noun cases: subject, object, and
"anything else."  If it's not a subject or object, it's "anything else."
We've been calling this a "header."  (Although nouns in the header seem to
be able to mix freely with adverbials too, so it's a strange sort of soup.)

SuStel
Stardate 2614.7

Back to archive top level