tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 08 13:19:44 2002

Aw: Re: adverbials

Von:     Andrew Strader <[email protected]>
> I know that it seems this way at first, but there is more to the matter than
> that. The main problem is that -mo' is a fundamentally different kind of
> suffix than -mey. -mo' and its kin are really better thought of as phrase
> suffixes, rather than noun suffixes. (See TKD 4.4).

ah, I have to take it back then. there is a substantial difference
between -mey and -mo'.

> The bottom line is that a phrase like "rammo'" modifies the core OVS
> sentence
> as a whole. That is, it's acting in an adverbial sense. And it just so
> happens that adverbials occur in the "head" (or "header" if you like)
> position of the sentence.

of course. whether you see rammo' as a noun with a suffix or as
something else (a phrase, maybe?) doesn't change this.

I still prefer to see it as a noun (with a suffix)

Marc Ruehlaender
aka HomDoq
Heisse Sounds mit Gewinnchance
News aus der Musikszene und gute Chancen, aktuelle CD's abzuräumen!!!
http://www.arcor.de/ent/ent_home_benson.php