tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 02 16:19:42 2002

Re: pawwI' paSqu' (was RE: qep'a' plans)

tulwI' (sts.) wrote:
>>{mebpa'mey} is in KGT.  {muDDuj} is, I believe, a convention on this list.
>>
>>Some will say that you can't create compound nouns (TKD 3.2.1) like this;
>>we can only use what we're given.  TKD describes them, but doesn't give
>>instructions on forming them (or prohibit their productive
>>formation).  What do you think?
>
>there are some compound words in klingon, like /DIvI'may'Duj/. for me as a
>german this is very welcome, as in german i'd say:
>
>DIvI'may'Duj = Föderationsschlachtschiff
>
>we can immitate klingon sentences, but i doubt we can immitate klingon
>compound words (as we don't know if a klingon would have used a compound
>word instead of a sentence), do we?

Not really.  Consider the following:

   {'Iwchab}  blood pie

One word in Klingon, two words in English.

   {ro'qegh'Iwchab}  rokeg blood pie

One word in Klingon, three words in English.  (Before you ask:  We don't
know what {ro'qegh} is; probably some sort of animal, though it could be a
place name.)  Why no break between {ro'qegh} and {'Iwchab}?

   {reghuluS 'Iwghargh}  Regulan bloodworm

Two words in Klingon, two words in English.  Note that {'Iwghargh}
"bloodworm" is one word.

   {'Iw HIq}  bloodwine

Two words in Klingon, one word in English.  Considering that Paramount
always writes "bloodwine" as one word, I was expecting to see *{'IwHIq} in
Klingon, like {'Iwghargh} and {'Iwchab}.  Okrand, however, chose to spell
it as two words in KGT... perhaps just to be contrary <g>.

Go figure.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons