tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 01 12:08:10 2002

Re: pawwI' paSqu' (was RE: qep'a' plans)

>>>ja' pagh:
>>
>>/muDDuj/ - plane
>>/mebpa'/ - hotel
>>
>>is this grammatical? can we form such nouns without having canon
>>sentences from MO?
>
>{mebpa'mey} is in KGT.  {muDDuj} is, I believe, a convention on this list.
>
>Some will say that you can't create compound nouns (TKD 3.2.1) like
>this; we can only use what we're given.  TKD describes them, but
>doesn't give instructions on forming them (or prohibit their
>productive formation).  What do you think?

there are some compound words in klingon, like /DIvI'may'Duj/. for me
as a german this is very welcome, as in german i'd say:

DIvI'may'Duj = Föderationsschlachtschiff

Föderation = DIvI'
Schlacht = may'
Duj = Schiff

we can immitate klingon sentences, but i doubt we can immitate
klingon compound words (as we don't know if a klingon would have used
a compound word instead of a sentence), do we?

tulwI',
sts.

Back to archive top level