tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 16 17:10:29 2002

Re: to' nech, 019: {jev'a'meyna'.}

> From: Alan Anderson <[email protected]>:
> >As it is, you're annoying a bunch of people, myself included, who want
> >to use the language in order to communicate.
>
> This is a terribly narrow mindset from someone of your stature within this
> list, ghunchu'wI'; whereas I do see your PoV, think on this: English (and
> every other language in prime use on this planet) is also used "in order to
> communicate"; none of these languages are restricted to that purpose.

ghunchu'wI' was being honest. We genuinely welcome anyone with an interest in
learning the language. Meanwhile, it really wears on us when the newest ego
sends dozens of messages in a very short timespan, each of which seem less
designed to improve their use of the language than to simply attract attention
to themselves.

I'm impressed with some of what Sean has to say. As a beginner, he has a lot of
talent. Meanwhile, like most beginners, he is remarkably sloppy and writes a
lot of text far more badly than he knows how because he's not taking the time
to check his own work. He also doesn't particularly care whether he is
translating anything well or not, so long as he is sending stuff and getting

Here's my overreaching generality for the day into the cultural nature of this
list and how it relates to the current conflict: There are basically three
groups of people who speak Klingon:

1. Linguists (amateur or professional)
2. Star Trek fans
3. Computer geeks

As some might expect, the Star Trek fans (with notable exceptions) are
typically the slowest students. They don't have a background for this stuff, so
what they learn, they learn from sheer determination. I respect this.

To my surprise, most of the linguists are as slow and sometimes slower than the
Trek fans. They have remarkable insights and can go on forever comparing
Klingon to a long list of languages, but they rarely memorize any vocabulary or
bother to gain actual skill with the grammar. Instead, they spend most of their
time hammering away at some pet theory of just how far you can bend a specific
grammatical construction before it breaks. They uniformly like attention and
love being the center of controversy. Rare is the flame war that doesn't have
at least one linguist in it.

The computer geeks are the real surprise in that for some strange reason, the
vast majority of people who actually become conversant in the language make
their money working with computers. Some of the geeks have linguistic
backgrounds and some don't, but if have more to do with linguistics and less to
do with computers, you are less likely to become conversational in Klingon.

This is especially interesting, since the guy who invented the language is
definitely a linguist who was very slow at accepting computers for either word
processing (he typed and hand wrote the manuscript for TKD) or Email. His
original word list was a pile of paper with words scribbled on them. He didn't
even use index cards or anything else that organized.

There are exceptions to each of these generalizations, and it's probably not
politically correct to point this out, but it really does seem to be the case.

Given that, we now have Sean who announces himself as a linguist, produces more
messages in a day than we've seen on this list in quite some time, shows less
interest in cleaning up his translations than in being in the middle of
controversy, and basically he is the newest guy to be the Current Most Annoying
Linguist.

ghunchu'wI', a computer geek, and I, another computer geek, have a natural
response involving veins sticking out in our necks when we deal with this
cultural difference between outspoken members of these different groups. Given
our typical lack of linguistic background (with definite exceptions, like
Holtej and perhaps Seqram), we're a little touchy about people who go on about
the language without actually bothering to learn it; who demand a lot of
attention and offer little back in return.

Eventually, this will all settle down. I hope it settles soon. I definitely
prefer to have more text written in Klingon and less energy expended in heated
English conversations loosely about the language, but it is hard when there are
so many messages spewing out that seem mostly designed to beg for argument.

> >Translating stacks of short, cryptic phrases -- especially translating
> >them *badly* -- does not help anyone.
>
> Disagree totally; I like the idea.  I love tlhIngan Hol (although I am not
> really good at S/R/W it), and I can not get enough of it. Perhaps the
> translations could be a little more comprehensive/complete/accurate - i will
> not disagree with that - but isn't that one of the purposes of this mailing
> list (otherwise, what is the job the BG is doing?).  Besides, as far as
> "stacks of short, cryptic phrases" are concerned -- what then is /The
> Klingon Way/?

My own skill took a leap when Krankor started writing a lot of very well-
produced Klingon text. Up to that point, I was very often confused because
there was so much bad Klingon text being written at the time, I couldn't get a
grip on what it was really supposed to be like. It all became a confusing mass
of characters.

Krankor's clear writing swept all that away and I began to understand it. I
wish I could do that for others, but too often, I fall weak to the temptation
to engage in this more useless activity of brawling in English.

> --DantlhIgh

Will

Back to archive top level