tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 16 12:54:41 2002

Re: Literature

Sean M. Burke wrote:
>One of these days I'll have to get out my French copy of /Le Petit Prince/
>and see whether I could pull off a restoration of it to Klingon.  Of
>course, the tone would have to change completely.  Less sentimentality,
>more stirring combat!

I did a Klingon translation (not restoration) of the discussion with the
snake in this book, which is the least sentimental passage.  I might post
that, but I can't imagine any book that is _less_ suited to Klingon on the
whole.  I'm sure Antoine de Saint-Exupery would roll over in his grave at
what a "restoration" would do to his work.  If you were to attempt that, you
might as well write your own book outright.

Grimm's fairy tales, though, come to mind.  We all know them well enough not
to have to work from an English text, and some of them are quite gory.

-Sengval

Back to archive top level