tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 10 17:15:00 2002

re: ghorghvaD 'oH

Sean wrote:

>Hm, so much for having these thread off of their respective postings.

Hey! Look on the bright side! What might seem like an unnecessary detour may
turn out to be an unexpected opportunity to look closer at yet another
aspect of our beloved Hol. Hoch 'ebmey tIjon!

>Some things besides prototypical nouns can act like nouns.

You may be right, of course. We know, for instance, that {'Iv} and {nuq} are
treated as nouns as far as verb prefixes are concerned (TKD, pp68 - 69). I'd
be really pleased if they could take noun suffixes, as in:

     (?)'IvvaD lutvam DagonlI'?
      For whom are you writing this story?/
      Who are you writing this story for?

As for the other "question words" taking noun (or verb) suffixes,
I'm not in a position to argue either way: my knowledge of tlhIngan Hol is
far too modest. It would be great if there were some canon examples to back
the use of {ghorghvaD}.

Correct or not, I've been trying to decide how I would phrase a potential
answer to the question in your {to'nech}. It would seem that only words and
phrases refering to some moment in time can function as logical answers.
Perphaps (and that's a big "perhaps") I could use
{-vaD} on a timestamp which is classified as a noun:

      (?)ghorghvaD 'oH?
       When is it for?

       (?)DaHjajvaD 'oH.
        It's for today.

       (?)cha'leSvaD 'oH.
        It's for the day after tomorrow.

But what could I use if the answer required an adverbial or a clause.
Clearly I couldn't say:

     *DaHvaD 'oH.
      It's for right now.

     *jaghwI' vIHoHta'DI'-vaD 'oH.
      It's for when I have killed my enemy.

That's why, at least for the time being, I'd probably stick to some of my
options. At least, it seems easier to come up with an answer.

     Q: ghorgh Dalo'nIS?
        When will you need to use it?

          or

     Q: ghorgh poQlu'?
        When will one require it?/When will it be required?