tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 19 16:58:41 2001

RE: I dropped the computer; therefore it broke

I said:

	> > {De'wI' vIchagh; vaj ghor} "I dropped the computer; therefore it

	> broke."

qe'San said:

	Still two sentences but could you also say "The Computer broke when
	dropped it"
	De'wI' vI'chaghDI'  ghor

DloraH said:

	But why did it break.  It broke WHEN I dropped it, but was it
because it hit
	the floor or did someone swing a baseball bat at it?

	A different example:
	jIpawDI' jIghung - As soon as I arrived I was hungary.
	The reason I am hungary is not because I arrived.  I would have been
hungry if
	I arrived or not.
	vaj gives a result of an action; similer to -mo', but still
different.

DloraH makes a good point here. You *can* say {De'wI' vIchaghDI' ghor}. But
it has a slightly different meaning than the original sentence.
If you use {-DI'}, you say that the events happened at the same time, but
they aren't necessarily connected.

Note that {De'wI' vIchaghDI'} cannot be used as a sentence alone, without
the main verb {ghor}.
So {De'wI' vIchaghDI' ghor} is one sentence, and not two.

- taD

Back to archive top level