tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Oct 28 19:50:12 2001

Re: KLBC: ghIj

DloraH:
> What/who is being brave?  Is the {action of going} brave?  It is Bilbo
> that is brave.  Same with ta'meyDaj.  "Going on from there...", is this
> physical or temporal?
> If physical, Dochvamvo' jaHtaHvIS ghaH yoH law' ...

Both, I think... I'd be tempted to skip it altogether...

	taHmeH bIlbo' yoH law' reH bIlbo' yoH puS

> I'm not familiar with the big picture here

The dwarves and Bilbo have arrived at the Lonely Mountain, the lair of a
dragon but also containing vast treasures to which the dwarves lay claim.
They manage to open a side-door that the dragon doesn't know about, and
Bilbo (the company's ``thief'') is sent in to investigate. The above is set
shortly after he enters the tunnel - when he's out of the company of the
dwarves, but not yet in sight of the dragon (or the treasure).

> > Also, if I want to say, "in ancient times",
> > Since I don't know how to say 'times' in that sense ({poH} doesn't seem
> > right, but it was the nearest thing I could find), I have to use
> > 'days'.  Can I say {jajmey tIQDaq}?  If that's not permissible, then I
> > would next have to guess {ben law'qu'} or perhaps {vatlh law' ben}.
> > Are any of these constructions permissible?

> Klingons may be inaccurate, but they never approximate.  Pick a time when it
> happened.  cha' SaD ben...

I'd probably recast - perhaps <<lut ngo'qu'>> (ancient story),
corresponding to the English expression "tales of old".

Jiri
--
Jiri Baum <[email protected]>           http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jirib
  MAT LinuxPLC project --- http://mat.sf.net --- Machine Automation Tools