tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Oct 28 20:15:42 2001

Re: KLBC: ghIj

> > > Also, if I want to say, "in ancient times",
> > > Since I don't know how to say 'times' in that sense ({poH} doesn't
>seem
> > > right, but it was the nearest thing I could find), I have to use
> > > 'days'.  Can I say {jajmey tIQDaq}?  If that's not permissible, then I
> > > would next have to guess {ben law'qu'} or perhaps {vatlh law' ben}.
> > > Are any of these constructions permissible?
>
> > Klingons may be inaccurate, but they never approximate.  Pick a time
>when it
> > happened.  cha' SaD ben...
>
>I'd probably recast - perhaps <<lut ngo'qu'>> (ancient story),
>corresponding to the English expression "tales of old".

So how about {qaStaHvIS jajmey ngu'qo'} or {qaStaHvIS jajmey tIQ}?

Also, can you combine apposition with noun-noun constructs?  If I want to
say "The batleth of Worf, son of Mogh, a Starfleet officer", can I say
{wo'rIv, mogh puqloD, 'ejyo' yaS betleH}, or does apposition only work with
complete noun phrases, i.e. {wo'rIv betleH, mogh puqloD, 'ejyo' yaS}, and it
would be understood that the apposition applies to the possessor?  Or is
this kind of thing simply not possible at all?  I suppose in this particular
instance I could say {'ejyo' yaS wo'rIv mogh puqloD betleH}, but (assuming
this even works in this particular case) this would not work in general for
this kind of thing.  In a pinch, I could make two sentences, i.e. {wo'rIv
betleH.  mogh puqloD 'ejyo' yaS je ghaH wo'rIv} (except, of course, {wo'rIv
betleH} isn't a complete sentence).